Friday, February 6, 2009

His Love is Like a Red, Red Rose


It was Valentines Day 1980. The music had stopped playing and the atmosphere was bright. The small singing group had just finished the concert and we were young. Mingling in the after-glow of the crowd, I turned towards a young man from the quartet who was lingering around the piano; I asked, "Oh, do you play?" And the rest is history. From the first conversation to 29 years later, his sweet demeanor has never waned. Generous and genious, witty and wry, creative and caring, my husband has been the best companion any woman could ever want. On this post, I am again attempting to capture the beauty I see in objects of art, and I would like to share some of the precious things that my sweet valentine has given me through the years. However, my novice photography skills prevent me from displaying the luster and exquisite beauty of his gifts. His love for me however, is not dulled by my clumsiness with the camera or the finite nature of language to express my gratitude. Faithfulness, dedication and friendship in tough times, though they are untraceable to the eye of the camera, are more fluent tools of communication and this language of love will stay in my heart forever. In honor of the Valentine's day that we met 29 years ago, I want to say, Merci mon cher ami; je t'aime de tout mon coeur. The beautiful rose ribbon in the second photo displays several brooches that he surprised me with; the two crowns came from Chateau Chenonceau in the Loire Valley as well as the Fleur-de-lys. The onyx and marquisite antique pin and silver and pink stone pins come from a very special outing in Boston many years ago and the three stone Ruby ring was given to me on my 30th birthday. Please click to enlarge the pictures. Each of these gifts came from his heart, delivered to me in only the way my husband can present. Humor, surprise and true sincerity are priceless gifts. Also, every night when I come home from work, I see my favorite tea pot all ready to go. He prepares this special ritual for me faithfully, every night to help sooth and decompress the stresses of the outside world. Here at the Little House on the Northeast side of Town, tea time is of the utmost importance!

Please check out my sidebar for another French lesson! Perhaps you would like to add some French flair to a letter to a lover, friend, child or spouse; these expressions are words of politeness, kindness, respect and love. Enjoy. A la prochaine!

19 comments:

Rosemary said...

Isn't that just a lovely thing!
Wow! We are lucky girls. We both have wonderful husbands, that have been with us forever. He sounds so wonderful. I understand about the photo thing, I deal with that too.
The tea thing is just so sweet. My husband brings me my coffee every morning. I have known him since I was 16. We have been married for 32 years. Very sweet gifts you have received over the years.
By the way, merci for the French. I love all I can learn. I would take private lessons from you if I lived nearby.
It is so nice to meet someone with the same interests, and likes.
Blogland is a wonderful thing.
Have a very nice romantic weekend.
Have a very Happy Valentine's Day with your sweetheart.
Rosemary

The Victorian Parlor said...

A beautiful post! Your photos are lovely and the words are heart-warming:)

The Rustic Victorian said...

You have been blessed...both of you. I have enjoyed reading your posts.
Have a nice Sunday.
Marcie

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Bon jour mon cher ami!

What a beautiful post! Such an endearing story to share with us. I love your ritual of tea, such a sweet way to end the day.
Your pictures and photos are fabulous! You did an excellent job! You underestimate your photographic abilities.

Le Seigneur te benisse!

A la prochaine mon amie, Sherry

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Exquisite!!!! Alas there is nothing else to say except thank you! Cathy

Stacey said...

Hi! This is my first time to stop by your blog. I have to tell you that you may not believe you have the photography to capture the beauty but you definitely have the words!! I really enjoyed my visit. :)

The Dutchess said...

I agree with Rosemary..I am a lucky girl too...We have wonderful husbands!I know my husband from when I was 4 years of age!!
Thank you for sharing this lovely post:)

The Dutchess said...

In my garden lives a very cute little mouse..you can see her on one of the garden movies. She visits us almost every day..Its Miss Moussie:) then we have Gustave...he lives in our pond. There are Elvira and Eduard..squirrels. Mr bee,our cat,sadly he had to move to another garden because there where catknappers in our neighbourhood! Noa..the dog from my daughter..and many more. Its so much fun making this garden blog,thank you for visiting!

The Dutchess said...

"Catnappers"..lol.blogging in englisch is sometimes difficult:)
Have a happy day..

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

What a sweet story and the beautiful things he has given you.You are a lucky women.When you are kind and respect each other,you can't miss.Happy Valentie's Day to both of you,XXOO Marie Antionette

Ulla said...

Perfectly romantic! And the music so fitting... He obviously adores you and knows you well! I hope this years Valentines is even more special for the two of you...

savvycityfarmer said...

oooooh... i love your little chopping block!!!!

please visit again for the kitchen makeover...
http://savvycityfarmer.blogspot.com
post called "move that bus"

Fete et Fleur said...

Anita, this is the most beautiful Valentine’s post I've ever read. I had no idea you two met on Valentine’s Day! I know that my brother is just as blessed to have you. For you my dear are truly wonderful.

Big hugs!
Nancy

Wishing you both a romantic Valentine's Day!

Dechen Community said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Castles Crowns and Cottages said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana at Chloe's Chic Boutique said...

What a lovely post! Your husband sounds like a sweetie!

I always enjoy my visits to your blog... your photos are always incredible!

Blessings,
Diana

wendy humphreys said...

Just a wonderful post and stunning
pictures.
So glad I found your site!
Enjoy every moment with your sweet
husband.

savvycityfarmer said...

I'm stalking you....hehe

just stopping to say hi and thanks forALL of your fun comments ALL the time!!!!

I can count on you to put a smile on my face

....and we both have that little cozy midwestern heart that beats at the same time.

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

You have been deemed worthy to receive a royal shoe. Please come by to receive it!

Princess Deborah