Listen to the music

Friday, February 6, 2009

His Love is Like a Red, Red Rose


It was Valentines Day 1980. The music had stopped playing and the atmosphere was bright. The small singing group had just finished the concert and we were young. Mingling in the after-glow of the crowd, I turned towards a young man from the quartet who was lingering around the piano; I asked, "Oh, do you play?" And the rest is history. From the first conversation to 29 years later, his sweet demeanor has never waned. Generous and genious, witty and wry, creative and caring, my husband has been the best companion any woman could ever want. On this post, I am again attempting to capture the beauty I see in objects of art, and I would like to share some of the precious things that my sweet valentine has given me through the years. However, my novice photography skills prevent me from displaying the luster and exquisite beauty of his gifts. His love for me however, is not dulled by my clumsiness with the camera or the finite nature of language to express my gratitude. Faithfulness, dedication and friendship in tough times, though they are untraceable to the eye of the camera, are more fluent tools of communication and this language of love will stay in my heart forever. In honor of the Valentine's day that we met 29 years ago, I want to say, Merci mon cher ami; je t'aime de tout mon coeur. The beautiful rose ribbon in the second photo displays several brooches that he surprised me with; the two crowns came from Chateau Chenonceau in the Loire Valley as well as the Fleur-de-lys. The onyx and marquisite antique pin and silver and pink stone pins come from a very special outing in Boston many years ago and the three stone Ruby ring was given to me on my 30th birthday. Please click to enlarge the pictures. Each of these gifts came from his heart, delivered to me in only the way my husband can present. Humor, surprise and true sincerity are priceless gifts. Also, every night when I come home from work, I see my favorite tea pot all ready to go. He prepares this special ritual for me faithfully, every night to help sooth and decompress the stresses of the outside world. Here at the Little House on the Northeast side of Town, tea time is of the utmost importance!

Please check out my sidebar for another French lesson! Perhaps you would like to add some French flair to a letter to a lover, friend, child or spouse; these expressions are words of politeness, kindness, respect and love. Enjoy. A la prochaine!