Listen to the music

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lavender Fields Forever



There is something soothing and peaceful about a field of lavender. My first encounter with this wonder of nature was when I was in the town of Grasse in the South of France. The scent of silence and stillness wafted freely in the air and carried me away to where my French dreams began. I thought to myself, "I could die here." When Karen Harvey Cox from Scrapbook of Inspiration asked me what my favorite flower was, I told her it was lavender. And sans h├ęsitation, she lovingly painted this sweet watercolor just for me. What a special moment it was to find this little treasure in my mailbox two weeks ago.



You see, there is something magical about the intensity of the color of each flower when they densely congregate into one massive bunch; you can see the magic better if you click on each photo...












Like the artists that we are, we want to imitate the beauty that we observe in nature and create the mood we love in our homes...



Even thought I admire the color of lavender with a hint of gold accents, I haven't ventured out YET to paint my walls in this sweet hue, but I have used lavender for culinary purposes and the taste is subtle and unique.



Each time I bite down on something that I have enhanced with Herbes de Provence, the taste transports me back to my beloved Nice, Eze, and St. Paul de Vence, where I step into the world of Marcel Pagnol and his unforgettable literary characters.



I have worked hard and it's time to relax and enjoy what is left of my summer vacation. Thank you Karen for the one-way ticket back to my home away from home. I think it's time to faire une sieste in my lavender colored bed and dream of a land of lavender fields forever...