Listen to the music

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Mastery of Simplicity

As light and refreshing as a summer breeze wafting through white linens



so is her touch, so gentle, refined, and outstanding.



This collection of images is from the photography portfolio of Nancy from Fête et Fleur, who I am proud to call my sister-in-law. Chances are, you are probably familiar with Nancy's blog and artistic prowess from photography to fashioning miniature paper shoes.



Nancy is a technician as well as an artisan; she studies her surroundings and is strategic about how light will dance with the most beautiful of objects to communicate

an aura of elegance



the dynamic presence of a beauty past



the proper dose of opulence



and unfeigned simplicity.





How does one compose a single result from both the science and art of such a task?





Beauty unadorned in unskilled hands could result in an unfinished showcase of mere objects. Concentrating only on strategic measures risks compromising the spontaneity in creating a mood. Nancy is a Master of Simplicity



knowing when to stop and making the unpretentious



border on the verge of making us thirst for what awaits us on the other side of her visions.



Nancy and I spoke yesterday, after I received this sweet hand-made doll from her in the mail. Knowing me and my love for embellishing, she asked me what I was going to do to her; was I going to paint her face or sew a dress.....



I'm going to leave well-enough alone and every time I look at this treasure from her heart, I will be reminded of Nancy's expertise and profound Mastery of Simplicity.



...This little souvenir has no name, however! Comment s'appelle-t-elle? What is her name?

If you have any ideas, leave a comment and write the response in French with the phrase:

Elle s'appelle____________________.

Merci Nancy, et merci à vous tous!

Photo Credits:

Fête et Fleur

Last two photos - moi