Thursday, January 8, 2009

Raison d'etre


Many thanks to my beautiful and talented sister-in-law from Fete et Fleur who has graciously opened her home site to introduce me to the rest of you marvelous bloggers. I have been following Fete et Fleur and many other artists who have inspired me to join the community. I would like to take this time to explain the moniker of Castles Crowns and Cottages. The sometimes quaint, fairytale-like structure of European chateaux evokes a sense of wonder that I have never lost. The thick, sturdy walls echo centuries of history and the timeless beauty of limestone fireplaces and turrets have stood and will continue to stand after I am gone. Elegance is born with age in a castle, a comfortable elegance if you will, that invites you to fearlessly plop down on an old velvet couch. Rooms with quasi-worn wooden or stone floors seem to say, "Entrez, s'il vous plait" and well-equiped copper clad kitchens sparkle against the backdrop of rough-hewn tiles.

Crowns are a passion of mine. My collection spans from rhinestone tiaras and homemade diadems to antique French crowns that once graced the heads of church saints. I prefer the muted golds of the latter with an occassional missing stone. Cottages are inviting, warm and a more attainable look to achieve. These humble dwellings as well command a second look, a sigh of admiration and they call us to relax, reflect and enjoy the moment.

Castles Crowns and Cottages is a place where I would like to chronicle our journey as homeowners on a budget. So many looks are possible when you dream, pull your resources together and take the first step. There is nothing like the satisfaction of knowing that you did it all on your own and that there is a little bit of your heart in each deliberately placed plant, carefully pruned tree and handmade structure. Thank you for welcoming me and happy decorating!

6 comments:

Ulla said...

Your creativity in decorating is what shines through!

stacycakes said...

i love tiaras and think every girl should have one or ten!!! your pictures are so gorgeous!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I'm really looking forward to your decorating and design! I LOVE doing things on a budget and have done that all my life since alas there was no silver spoon in my mouth when I was born! LOL It will be fun getting to know what delights you in your decor!

Hugs, Sherry

Fete et Fleur said...

I hope you both had a beautiful weekend. I look forward to your next post!

Hugs!
Nancy

Unknown said...

Your blog looks as enchanting as your home. Cottages have always been my passion, especially the ones found in England. Your crowns sound amazing. I look forward to reading your blog often.
Karen

Cyndee Greene said...

How Beautiful!
I LOVE the castles! And your words about your home!